Crime Control vs. Due Process
For many years, New York City suffered from very high rates of both violent and property crime. In 2001, the September 11 attack brought down the World Trade Center towers. Since then, there have been several attempted acts of terrorism as well.
In response to these difficult challenges, the New York Police Department (NYPD) implemented several new procedures, including:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Stop and frisk
- “Mosque crawling” (undercover surveillance of city mosques)
Prepare a report in Microsoft Word that addresses the following points:
- Describe the two programs listed above.
- Analyze whether these programs have been effective. To do this, you will need to locate crime statistics for New York City and determine whether crime and terrorism have increased or decreased.
- Discuss how these programs relate to the issue of crime control versus due process.
- Explain how the presence of crime or the potential for terrorism might impact New York economically.
- Recently, the stop-and-frisk program has been suspended by a federal judge. Do you agree with this decision? Explain your reasoning.